Tim was born and raised in Milwaukee, Wisconsin and moved to Oakland Park in January 2000. He and his husband reside in the Coral Heights neighborhood with their cat Tiger. Tim has worked for a National Health Insurance Company since 1985 and telecommutes from home. He relaxes by spending time gardening in the yard which is a National Wildlife Federation - Certified Wildlife Habitat. Tim also enjoys staying active by riding his bike, walking and volunteering.
Reasonable and Responsible Budget and Millage Rate, Implementation of $40M Bond Projects, Public Safety (Police & Fire), partnership with Broward County Public Schools, Quality of Life initiatives throughout Oakland Park. Advocating for Home Rule.
• Proudly served on the Oakland Park City Commission 2013 thru 2020, Mayor in 2016 & 2018
• Served on the Board of Directors of the Broward League of Cities, President in 2018
• Served as a Board Member on the Broward County Water Advisory Board, the Climate Change Task Force and the Resource Recovery Board.
• Acknowledged by the Florida League of Cities as ‘Home Rule Hero’ in 2016 and 2018. Advocated for local Home Rule and against State pre-emptions.
• Served as Board Member of the National League of Cities – Race, Equality and Leadership Council (REAL) and the LGBTLO (Lesbian, Gay, Bi-Sexual, Transgender Local Officials) Constituency Group.
• Served on Oakland Park General Employee Pension Plan - Board of Trustees
• Current - Area Agency on Aging of Broward County (AAABC) Advisory Council Chairman & Fundraising Chair
• Current - Guardian ad Litem Program – 17th Circuit Court – Certified active Guardian
Oakland Park Accomplishments
• Focused on reducing taxes - Millage Rate reduction 6 out of 7 years
• Public Safety and Security improvements
• City wide Beautification and Quality of Life initiatives.
• While Mayor - $40M bond approved by voters to rebuild our public facilities including the library and fire stations.
• While Mayor - Established Climate Action Plan with Wilton Manors
• Advocated for the new 24 classroom building at Northeast High School.
• Advocated for new building for Rickard’s Middle School after roof collapse.
• Supported Business growth and expansions
• Supported an ordinance making Conversion Therapy illegal in Oakland Park.
• Supported Gender Reassignment Surgery coverage and Domestic Partnership Benefits for Oakland Park employees.
• Supported ordinance requiring contractors/vendors to provide Domestic Partner Health Benefits to employees.
• Human Rights Campaign (HRC) 100% Equality Index rating.
• Supported Plastic Straw ban.
• Supported Residential Housing Developments including: Oakland Preserve Workforce Housing, Oak Tree, East Side Village, The Point at Middle River, O and O2, Ram Development, Ceiba Group townhomes.
• Supported The Shops at Prospect and Andrews parking lot enhancements.
• Attended meetings with Broward County Public School / School Board meetings requesting 100 year lease for Oakland Park Nature Trail in the Royal Palm neighborhood.
• Supported Oakland Park businesses.
• Supported Fort Lauderdale Behavioral Health Center - $52M investment in closed down Northridge Medical Center
• Focused on safety – Short Term Vacation Rental regulations.
• State of Florida – Department of Elder Affairs – 2021 Certificate of Volunteer Recognition
• Florida League of Cities – Recognized as Home Rule Hero in 2018 and 2020.
• Broward County Council of Professional Firefighters - 2018 Municipal Leader of the Year
• Freedom for All Americans with Mayors Against LGBT Discrimination certificate of appreciation 2016 & 2018.
• Broward Leader Water & Climate Academy 2017 Graduate
• Current - CY 2021 and 2022 - Area Agency on Aging of Broward County AAABC Advisory Council Chairman & Fundraising Sub-committee Chair
• Current - Certified Guardian ad Litem – 17th Circuit since June 2021.
• Current - Oakland Park Volunteer Corp volunteer since 2006.
• Organizer – LGA Class of 2010 Adopt-A-Street clean-up since 2010.
• Volunteer - 2020/2021 Oakland Park / Feeding South Florida COVID home food deliveries for 58 weeks
• Volunteer – Bi-Annual Free Tree Give-Away
• Volunteer – Annual Broward County Annual Waterway Clean-up
• Volunteer – 2020 Census
• Volunteer – Sandbag Give-away
• Volunteer – Oakland Park Sand Pine Preserve Clean-up
• Past Volunteer – Feeding South Florida / Oakland Park – COVID Pandemic Home Food Deliveries (58 weeks)
• Past - AIDS Resource Center (ARC) of Milwaukee – Volunteer Food Pantry Manager
• Past - The Counseling Center of Milwaukee – Volunteer Support Group Facilitator
• Past - March of Dimes of Southeast Wisconsin – Youth Action Chairman 1979
• Milwaukee Public Schools – Diploma Milwaukee Tech and Trade High School – Class of 1980
• Milwaukee Area Technical College – Associate Degree in Human Services
• Active full-time employee of a national health insurance company since September 1985. Current position is a Business Process Consultant for the Medicare and Medicaid lines of business.
• Active Florida License for selling Life, Health and Annuities.
• Active Florida Notary Public.
Please use this form to send me a message
Political advertisement paid for and approved by Tim Lonergan, Non-Partisan for Oakland Park City Commission.
Copyright © 2022 Tim Lonergan - All Rights Reserved.